Monday, November 5, 2012

Fine Motor Skills


Little Man is a boy who loves fine motor activities, and he has since he was tiny.  He was the baby that would sit for an hour by himself figuring out all the elements of a toy.  He has always loved detail, and figuring out how things work.  This has carried through into his love for puzzles, and other fine motor activities.

When I saw this activity on Pinterest I immediately thought it would be a hit with little man.  I knew it was too advanced for Tink, but I wanted to try it none the less.

The materials:

  • kix cereal (I also put a few cheerios in because I knew they would be easier to pick up)
  • tweezers
  • 2 cups or bowls 
I filled one cup with the cereal mixture, told little man that I had an activity for him, and I showed him how to pinch the tweezers together.  This activity ended up being a little too advanced for his skills. He was able to pick up a few pieces of cereal with the tweezers correctly, but he mostly found other ways to pick the cereal up.



The two handed approach was a big hit. Hold the tweezers in right hand, pick up cereal with left hand, touch cereal to the tweezers, and then eat it. 


Stacking the cheerios on the tweezers was another big hit.  



All throughout this activity I was showing him how to pinch the tweezers, but every time he would get it he would revert back to his other methods.

Tink eventually ran over to see what we were doing, and the activity was turned into a dumping and pouring activity which eventually became snack time.  



I would say that in terms of fine motor skill improvement this activity was a flop for us. Little Man told me he did not like it and did not want to do it again ;). 

**Please ignore the fact that my children look as though they have not been bathed in a week, have snotty noses, and refuse to wear pants or matching clothes.  Also please excuse the poor quality of photos. I tried a new way to upload and it failed miserably.**

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment